Fast, secure, reliable and cost effective communications are critical for the “Smart Grid,” an entire interconnected network of interactive smart devices. G3-ALLIANCE™ is a new advanced OFDM-based Powerline Communications (PLC) technology developed by Maxim to meet the requirements of Enedis (ex ErDF – Electricité Réseau Distribution France). It has now gained world-wide interest and is under consideration by the ITU, IEEE, IEC and ISO standards committees. The G3-ALLIANCE specification has been posted for all interested parties by Enedis and Maxim to promote interoperability and open-endedness among smart grid implementations.
The creation of a consortium of key stakeholders in the Smart Grid ecosystem — from electricity utilities, equipment manufacturers, system integrators, IT vendors, automotive, and semiconductor companies — is required to promote rapid availability, adaptation, implementation, and deployment of g3-alliance.compliant devices. This will provide continuity among new Smart Grid applications including power grid management, remote meter management, in-home energy management and electric vehicle charging, as well as supporting interoperability among vendors.
Initial objectives for the G3-ALLIANCE Alliance consortium are as follows:
- Support G3-ALLIANCE in internationally recognized standards bodies to achieve the rapid adoption of the G3-ALLIANCE specification in industry applications worldwide.
- Develop a framework for equipment testing to facilitate interoperability among G3-ALLIANCE adopters.
- Educate the market and promote the value, benefits and applications of G3-ALLIANCE powerline networking products through public statements, publications, trade show demonstrations, seminar sponsorships and other programs established by the consortium.
- Establish a forum and process where the consortium members may:
– Meet to discuss suggested revisions and enhancements to the specification.
– Make appropriate submissions to internationally recognized standards bodies with the purpose of ratifying the G3-ALLIANCE specification as an international standard.
– Meet with developers and providers of g3-alliance.compliant products to indentify requirements for interoperability and general usability.
Strategic Steering commitee
Marc Delandre is currently Director of the ENEDIS Metering Division.
He worked during 30 years for EDF Group (R&D, Business Entities, Network Division).
He is a graduated Engineer from Supelec.
Leon Vergeer has been working as a management consultant for over 20 years. He worked for a wide range of international clients in a variety of industries but predominantly in energy. He has broad experience in utilities and worked in the smart metering program of Enexis in The Netherlands.
He has been working with the G3-ALLIANCE Alliance since 2014 in setting up and later coordinating the G3-ALLIANCE certification program.